All-Electric Renovation on Rockridge Norwalk, CT
This 1924 Colonial home had fallen into severe disrepair before coming up for sale. As part of the much needed renovation, the new homeowners (two Steven Winter Associates, Inc. employees) wanted to eliminate onsite combustion and produce as much of their operating electricity as possible. Other goals included lower embodied energy materials and a healthy indoor environment. LEED v4.1 for Homes offered one platform to address energy, health, and materials. The home was gutted down to the foundation, framing, and floors before the year-long renovation. After the first 8 months of occupancy (July—February), the home produced 14% more energy than it consumed.
SWA colleagues consulted on HVAC design, hot water solutions, thermal envelope, building science best practices, solar options, and sustainable materials. The final HERS rating is –3. Certifications for ENERGY STAR Homes, Zero Energy Ready Homes, and LEED v4.1 for Homes—Platinum are ongoing.
GREEN BUILDING FEATURES
- Reused foundation, framing, flooring and doors
- Lower embodied energy choices for cavity wall insulation (mineral wool), countertops (wood), and reused elements (foundation, sidewalk, framing, flooring and doors)
- Tight building envelope including AeroBarrier air sealing, continuous insulation
- Double pane windows with i89 glass, U-0.21 to U-0.24 (Paradigm)
- Cold climate heat pumps for space heating and cooling (Fujitsu)
- Heat pump water heater with exterior condenser and CO2 refrigerant (SanCO2)
- 8.6 kW photovoltaics (Sunpower 360) and 27 KW battery backup (Tesla Powerwall)
- Balanced ventilation with Panasonic ERV, MERV 13 filters for outdoor air & indoor returns
- Low-emitting flooring, insulation, interior trim, and paints/primers
- Combustion-free home with induction range and decommissioned fireplaces
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. | Call us 866.676.1972 | swinter.com
The final HERS rating is –3. Certifications for ENERGY STAR Homes, Zero Energy Ready Homes, and LEED v4.1 for Homes—Platinum are ongoing.